[Koha-devel] new sysprefs

Mason James mason.james at liblime.com
Wed Feb 20 03:14:05 CET 2008

>> I plan to make a patch later this week to remove these sysprefs.
>> Please let me know if any of these are in fact in use, represent
>> pre-2.2.9 features that ought to be ported to 3.0, represent a
>> feature
>> that someone is willing to code and submit a patch for relatively
>> soon, or are in use by an existing contrib.  If there are any other
>> dead sysprefs that should be removed, please post those as well.

> In short, most of the sysprefs represent features that should be
> forward-ported
> to 3.0, or we'll have some unhappy Koha users :-). Generally
> speaking, most of
> them require quite trivial additions; some could definitely be re-
> factored to
> be more generally useful.

Hi All,

On a related topic... thats been something ive wanted to improve for
a *long* time....

Is it about time that koha-sysprefs area had a better way of grouping
related sysprefs together?
(FYI: the old koha.v2  syspref-grouping seems to be missing from
Koha3 currently?)

Perhaps a new 'systempreferences_groups' table,  and a new 'group'
column added to the existing sysprefs table
could work as a quick-fix solution...

Then a new syspref-group could be easily created by staff or
developers, and  new or existing sysprefs could be  easily grouped

mysql> select * from systempreferences where  variable = 'QueryFuzzy'\G
    variable: QueryFuzzy
       value: 1
explanation: If ON, enables fuzzy option for searches
        type: YesNo
    group: zebra_searching    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   NEW COLUMN?!??!?!?

In Koha.2, the only way to assign a syspref to a group was to edit
the sysprefs.pl file
Which was too much effort for most people, and consequently lots of
sysprefs were added without being assigned to a group.

Which has historically lead to a few (misunderstood / broken /
duplicated)  sysprefs,

Any ideas people?

Cheers, Mason

Mason James                                mason.james at liblime.com
Programmer                                         www.liblime.com
LibLime                                             +64 21 542 117