[Koha-devel] To define default 9xx fields for Unimarc setup in all languages

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Tue Jul 13 15:55:18 CEST 2010

Hi to all

I sent this mail to different Koha-mailing list because the topic is
quite wide.
If you are also on koha-dev list, replaty to this list.
Instead replay on koha general list.

I send the mail also to koha-france because many user of Unimarc are French.
But I don't know French, please replay to koha general list or to koha-dev.

Today the complete Unimarc setups are the English and French,
As I know Italian,  Ukrain, Russian and Poland setups are direct translation of
English or Frence setup

But on local fields English and French are not compatible.
Many 9xx fields need to be the same in different languages because the indexes
definitions in the file etc/zebradb/marc_defs/unimarc/biblios/record.abs
are based on specific 9xx values.
And the file record.abs is only one for all Unimarc setup

So my proposal, for 3.2 and also [if possible ] for 3.0.x

We re-write English setup in 9xx fields and we use it
a minimun and a standard that ALL unimarc setups need to follow.
It means that we need same change also to French setup.

I want to discuss with everyone about this topic.
I will write all the patch to fix the situation.

So my proposal:

Fields:

001        Local number -> biblio.biblionumber
090$a      Local number -> biblioitems.biblioitemnumber
099$c      date of creation -> biblio.datecreated
099$d      Date/time last modified -> biblio.timestamp

995$0   Withdrawn status -> items.wthdrawn
995$2	  Lost status -> items.itemlost
995$3   Use restrictions -> items.restricted
995$5   Date acquired -> items.dateaccessioned
995$6   Copy number ->  items.copynumber
995$7   URI -> items.uri
995$8   Koha collection -> items.ccode
995$9   Internal item number -> items.itemnumber
995$a   Homebranch (free text) ->items.homebranch
995$b   Homebranch (coded)
995$d   Holding branch (free text) -> items.holdingbranch
995$d   Holding branch (coded)
995$e   Shelving location-> items.location
995$f    Barcode -> items.barcode
995$j    Inventory number -> items.stocknumber [only 3.2]
995$k   Call number -> items.itemcallnumber,
995$l    Numbering (volume or other part) -> items.materials
995$m  Date of loan or deposit -> items.datelastborrowed
995$n   Expiration of loan date -> items.onloan
995$o   Circulation type (not for loan) -> items.notforloan
995$r    Type of item and material -> items.itype
995$v    Serial Enumeration / chronology -> items.enumchron [only serials]
995$u    Copy note -> items.itemnotes

942$0   Koha issues (borrowed), all copies -> biblioitems.totalissues
942$2   Source of classification or shelving scheme -> biblioitems.cn_source
942$6   Koha normalized classification for sorting -> biblioitems.cn_sort
942$c   Koha [default] item type -> biblioitems.itemtype
942$s   Serial record flag -> biblio.serial

1)Fields 001 and 090$a, BIB Identifier in two places
As French setup, to ahve a correct Unimarc we need BIB id in two places:
001 -> biblio.biblionumber
090 $9 -> biblioitems.biblioitemnumber
biblio.biblionumber and biblioitems.biblioitemnumber must be numerir,
we need to stress this fact in data conversions

2)Field 995 as item field with those subfields:
This proposal is full compatible with French Unimarc
setup and it has also the items subfields that are mandatory for circulation,
  inventory, acquisitions and serials.

3)Field 942 as biblio/item field.
This field is new for all unimarc setup, in english unimarc setup
  there is 990 but 990 is similar, not identical.
I select 942 instead of 990 because 990 is present in French setup
with a specific meaning.
I ask to French people to accept to put biblioitems.totalissues in
942$0, it is the base of the
popularity index. Now the base of popularity index is in 995$s.

This proposal is only a minimum, if you think there are others 9xx
fields/subfields
that MUST be present in every setup, please replay.

If you want to discuss it, please replay.

Bye to all

Zeno Tajoli

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)