[Koha-devel] Possible IRC tutorial nginx and FastCGI

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Mon May 3 23:36:30 CEST 2010

On 4 May 2010 09:30, Fouts, Clay <cfouts at ptfs.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the further info. Sorry for the imprecision, but here I meant
> "scale" in the sense of individual Koha installations per web server rather
> than hits per installation. My concern is the feasibility of implementing a
> scheme like this on a web server which is configured to service requests for
> over a hundred individual Koha instances. Doesn't each individual script
> require it's own FastCGI daemon process per instance of Koha? Of course it
> would be possible to implement this on a subset of those sites, but then
> each step of de-homogenizing adds another cost at a different level.
> Clay

No, each script doesn't need its own fastcgi daemon.
You may want one daemon per site .. but even that isnt actually
nessecary as you can set the env variables for KOHA_CONF and PERL5LIB
in the same way as you do in apache2 (or close to it).
These are passed onto the fastcgi daemon, which in turn runs the
actual script and hands back the result. To the CGI scripts .. they
don't even notice the difference.
By using FCGI::Async you don't wait for the request to finish before
starting another also.
With nginx understanding multiple backends you can have a pool of the
daemons running if you like.

Chris