[Koha-devel] Getting rid of YUI ?

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Tue Nov 2 04:07:49 CET 2010

Hi world,

As you know, we are using both YUI and jquery javascript libraries in Koha.
That's too much !
I think jquiry-ui (http://jqueryui.com) is good enough to decide to get
rid of YUI.
Pro:
* jquery much more developed
* yui & webdev have problems working together
* a lot of informations are available for jquery, including tutorials
and books
* http://jqueryui.com/docs/Theming/API seems much more clear & easy to
use to me than yui css (is it just me ?)
* jqueryui comes with (a themable) complete set of icons

Cons:
? (Anyone want to argue ?)

So, I propose the following roadmap :
* new templates should be developed using jquery, not yui
* 3.4 would still have both
* in 3.6, we get rid of yui

Other question : should we have jquery code inside koha (and thus having
to take care of the updates) or should we use an external source ? (does
this exist ? for yui it does, see yuipath syspref in koha)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com