[Koha-devel] Oracle nerfs MySQL, calls it MySQL classic, and charges $2, 000+ for features like InnoDB

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Nov 4 13:31:20 CET 2010

2010/11/4 Kyle Hall <kyle.m.hall at gmail.com>:
> It looks like I jumped the gun. This looks like it's about commercial
> support, not features, except where marked on the linked page.

That's not how I read it. It appears to me that your first assessment
was correct.

The first row of the chart shows support availability. Classic has no
support available.

The subsequent rows compare features. Clearly InnoDB is *not* checked
in the MySQL Classic column.

PG support is a goal for 3.4 IIRC, however, MariaDB
(http://mariadb.org/) bills itself as a drop-in replacement for MySQL
and developed and maintained by some of the folks who originally wrote
MySQL.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PS: This is yet *another* reason for the Koha community to refuse to
allow the project to become vendor dominated/controlled. Let's be sure
we are awake and smelling the coffee.