[Koha-devel] Search Engine Changes : let's get some solr

Frédéric Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Mon Nov 15 08:38:32 CET 2010

> IE just XML::LibXML (Without the sax) which we now know is a lot
> faster :) Galen's tests essentially do the same thing, except with
> passing it through MARC::File::XML

Comparisons are odious. DOM uses an underlying SAX parser to load any
XML document in memory. DOM is not as SAX parser as itself. Galen tests,
as I understand them, show that current MARC::File::XML parser, which
include a specif SAX event handler, is slower than loading directly a
DOM document. It contradicts the theory. The explanation is, as stated
by Galen, that Perl SAX parser implementation is not good... My tests
use XML::Simple and so load the whole MARCXML document in memory before
rendering it into a MARC::Record object. It gives a picture of the
difference between parsing MARCXML in pure Perl vs using an external SAX
parser.
--
Frédéric