[Koha-devel] Bug 7167 New updatedatabase

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Jun 15 13:10:44 CEST 2012

Op 13-06-12 15:39, Jared Camins-Esakov schreef:
>     Development mode: Currently, you rely on $ENV{DEBUG} from koha-httpd
>     file. I would turn this into a systempref. It is easier for
>     developers to toggle it (compared to restarting httpd service).
>
> It's easier, but also a lot more dangerous in my opinion. The consensus
> on the caching configuration was that it was too dangerous to allow
> access to it in sysprefs. Based on that logic, I think using an
> environment variable would be the way to go.

My 2p right now is to agree with this, as someone who provides hosted
Koha to people who don't necessarily know the ins-and-outs of it all, I
can see having sysadminny-type options in the sysprefs in general
causing issues.

I'd advocate some standard for these kinds of things in the long
term[0], but for the time being, I think an environment variable could work.

Robin.

[0] other examples I can think of that are impending: the filesystem
location of custom XSLT and files that are attached to bib records but
really live on the filesystem. These should be defined in a location
that only a sysadmin can change them.