[Koha-devel] DB dependent tests vs. sample data

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 01:12:19 CET 2012

When writing some db dependent tests for bugs 8800, 9074 and 9078 I noticed
that we have inconsistent data in the localized SQL files.
Such inconsistency might be a problem, or not depending on what premises we
agree on.
As I see it, it is difficult to maintain consistency as different common
use cases may require different sample data. Also, for testing purposes we
might need (like i do on this bugs) special holidays set for my test cases,
but maybe our users rely on the sample data for filling the DB with some
good defaults...

So, my questions are:
1) Do we expect our unit tests go ok with ANY localised data set?
2) Do we need a special set of data for testing purposes (from the dev POV)?

As for (1) remember the Holidays.t db dependent tests, that need to cover
all the use cases and might not be a good default for a new library.
Also Circulation db dependent tests shoud need bad end-user defaults.

Regards
To+