[Koha-devel] Questions from the great wall of install...

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 16 09:23:04 CEST 2012

Greetings,

As I am putting finishing touches on the Ubuntu great wall of install, for the purposes of *splitting* and organizing (packages/git/tarball – the latter of which will be hidden), I have written down questions that I thought perhaps the list may be able to clarify.

1) When doing a packages install, a message about upgrading from 3.2 to 3.4 pops up. What is the recommended upgrade path from pre-3.4 to current? Is that message accurate?

2) I noticed that Mime::Lite (forgive wrong capitalizations) triggers the install of nullmailer under a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server. Seeing as Koha has cronjobs that do mailing, are their any external links (like Vimal Kumar V.’s link to a gmail relay set up) which would be recommended for getting those functions to work properly? I understand that a “configuring mailing” wiki page is beyond the scope of Koha, but surely a “look here for suggested hints, but configuration of mailing is out of scope” page is okay?

3) In the Ubuntu documentation the ordering of /etc/perl/XML/SAX/ParserDetails.ini is supposedly important, as “You must be sure you're using the XML::LibXML SAX parser, not Expat or PurePerl, both of which have outstanding bugs with pre-composed characters.” During a packages installation, I decided to look at the ini file, and found it wasn’t in the recommended order. Is this a problem with the packages or has this point become irrelevant?

4) Does the packages installation method set up apache2 correctly, or does
AddCharset UTF-8 .utf8
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
Still need to be added to a configuration file and a restart issued? It’s not in the Debian instructions for packages.

5) In MySQL “select variables like ‘%colla%’;” and “select variables like ‘%char%’;” generate non-utf8 entries. Is this correct? Nothing like this is mentioned in the Debian instructions for packages.

I think that’s it for now. I hope to start the splitting in the near future, and be done before the end of the week. I’ve got an upgrade (3.6.3 tarball to 3.8.5 packages) to do this weekend.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett