[Koha-devel] Architectural goals for 3.16

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue Dec 10 22:11:03 CET 2013

Hi All

In addition to the goals Galen has mentioned.

Catalyst and Bywater are working on adding ElasticSearch as an option
for searching in Koha.
It will of course not remove Zebra, but will provide the option of
using it as a search tool instead.

The brief plan is

Write code, so that if ElasticSearch is selected, when a Biblio is
modified the index is updated. This will not preclude the zebra code
from running, so the zebra indices are still updated too. (This is
mostly working now)

Next, allow the Public Interface (OPAC in the old talk) to use
ElasticSearch to do it's searches (sorta working)

Then, implement a browse feature (in planning)

Then, allow the staff catalogue to use ElasticSearch (not even started).

(Probably only get this far for 3.16)

Then move on to the authorities ..

Then allow for fully ajax option for searching ...

The plan is incremental increases, not breaking existing search, in
fact not touching the zebra code at all, so that any time you could
switch back and you would still have working searches.

Maybe eventually it will be feature complete, including a z3950 and
sru/sw server and we can make switching it on mean switching zebra
off. But definitely not for 3.16.

You can follow along at
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/elastic_search

I push everything as I go, (I will tidy it up into neater patches
before submitting of course)

Also, big huge thanks to the Catmandu developers
http://librecat.org/index.html  whose library I am making extensive use of
http://search.cpan.org/~nics/Catmandu-0.8001/

I even got a patch in https://github.com/LibreCat/Catmandu-MARC/commits/master
And its in the latest version on CPAN already.

I am sure we will make much more use of their code, for creating RDF etc also

Ok, tangent finished :)

Chris