[Koha-devel] Architectural goals for 3.16

Magnus Enger magnus at enger.priv.no
Fri Dec 13 13:12:45 CET 2013

Dear Community!

My devious little plan for 3.16 is to start getting some RDF/Linked
Data/Semantic Web stuff into Koha.

There are two sides to this, both of which should of course be
completely opt-in and without side-effects for the MARC-based
functionality in Koha:

* MARC2RDF conversion

MARC records should be converted to RDF and stored in a triplestore,
whenever they are added to Koha or edited in Koha.

Chris Cormack already made a start on this, but I think we agree now
that the actual conversion should be re-written to use Catmandu::RDF.
My plan is to either nag Chris into doing this or to fork what he
already did and re-write it myself. ;-)

* Browsing

RDF data in the triplestore should be browsable in the OPAC. I have
code for this that is almost ready to be submitted, but I will do some
more tweaking before I unleash it.

Even if I fail miserably at all of this, it sounds like 3.16 is going
to be pretty great! :-)

Best regards,
Magnus Enger
libriotech.no