[Koha-devel] Memcached support in packages

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Wed May 29 01:48:45 CEST 2013

At 10:19 AM 5/29/2013 +1200, Robin Sheat wrote:
>Tomas Cohen Arazi schreef op di 28-05-2013 om 11:22 [-0300]:
> > - As a required or suggested dependency that enables it globally if
> > present
> > - As an optional enable/disable per instance service.
>
>I have no real problem with it being on by default, if someone really
>wants to toggle it they can edit koha-conf.xml anyway.

Isn't this really an o/s question?  If it isn't installed and enabled by
Debian, RH, CentOs, Ubuntu, whatever, by default, why should an open-source
install such as Koha usurp the o/s?

Yes, it might be a good idea to *suggest* it if the o/s doesn't have it.

Can Koha give some performance statistics? Can Koha be fairly certain that
nothing else is compromised (and I'm pretty certain that nothing 'bad' will
happen.) If not (and respectfully to you Robin), isn't it a wee bit
arrogant to install it and then say "you can edit koha-conf.xml" and turn
it off?

I have used it regularly for couple of years now, no problems, but no proof
of functional gain (or loss), I just take it for granted -- but have
wondered why the various o/s's don't include it automatically.

YMMV

Best - Paul