[Koha-devel] Hackfest update #1

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 21 06:10:19 CEST 2013

Hi,

Here are some notes from the first day of hackfest:

* A total of 34 kittens were saved [1].  In other words, a number of bugs
were worked on, tested, QAed, and pushed.
* Several tutorial sessions took place, including a session on Koha bug
reporting and patch testing fundamentals led by Bob Birchall and a tutorial
on Git and navigating the Koha source tree lead by myself.
* Several folks had a lengthy discussion about various issues regarding
search and indexing.  A couple short-term projects initiated today include
dealing with a bug concerning retrieving oversize ISO 2709 records from
Zebra and a project to switch facet calculation over to using Zebra's
built-in faceting.  There was also discussion of the idea of using
Elasticsearch as a complement to Zebra and Solr.
* Chris Cormack helped a library upgrade their Koha database from (I think)
3.6 all the way to 3.12 ... in 27 minutes.

Tomorrow tutorial sessions on DBIx::Class and Class::Accessor are planned
as well as a roundtable on digging into Zebra's internals.

For folks wanting to play along at home, lists of wishlist items [2] and
notes from the conference roundtables [3] are available on the wiki.

I'm sure this summary is incomplete, and I encourage other hackfest
attendees to supplement it.

[1] http://scoreboard.koha-community.org/
[2] http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/KohaCon13/Hackfest/Wishlist
[3] http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/KohaCon13/Roundtable_Notes