[Koha-devel] OPAC theme proposal

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 28 18:32:18 CET 2013

Hi,

Based on the feedback received last week, here is my current proposal for
managing the OPAC themes:

[1] We ship Bootstrap as the default theme for 3.14 for new installations.
[2] We announce deprecation of prog and CCSR when 3.14 is released and
issue a recommendation that libraries start switching to Bootstrap.
[3] At the same time, we announce that prog and CCSR will be removed in
3.18.  If some organization wishes to maintain either theme after then,
they can do so, but as a separate contrib.  However, if you are inclined to
support either theme after they've been removed ... please think carefully
about the amount of work that would entail.
[4] The RM will assist in getting OPAC template patches in the pipeline
that were written for prog updated to support Bootstrap as well.
[5] Starting with the 3.16, new OPAC patches should be targeted for
Bootstrap first.  During the 3.16 cycle, contributors are requested to make
an effort to update the prog theme as well, particularly for new features,
but this is a request, not a requirement.  In other words, this means that
for 3.16, libraries may need to switch to Bootstrap to take full advantage
of new OPAC functionality, but the prog theme will continue to be
functional.
[6] During the 3.18 cycle, no patches will be pushed for prog except
insofar as they may be needed to fix security issues in the maintenance
releases.  Before 3.18 is released, prog and CCSR will be taken out
entirely.

Regards,

Galen
--