[Koha-devel] Roles for 3.18; RMaints

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Apr 10 01:27:39 CEST 2014

Hi,

The current list of candidates for project roles can be found at

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Roles_for_3.18

We have candidates for all major project positions with the exception
of release maintainers for 3.12.x and 3.10.x.

I encourage folks to step up to run for RMaint, particularly for
3.12.x, but we should also discuss what the community support policy
for older releases should be.

For example, we could choose to support the most recent X stable
release branches, or we could decide that we want to support Y years
back, although given our release schedule either approach would work
out to the same outcome depending on how far back we want to go.

We should also consider what "support" means, particularly for the
older branches.  Several things that could be included in a definition
are:

- Having a release maintainer actively pushing bugfixes.  This is a
sine qua non, in my opinion.
- General community willingness to respond to questions and bug
reports with an answer that goes beyond "please upgrade to the latest
stable branch"
- Building release tarballs monthly (or maybe less frequently for
older branches)
- Building Debian packages
- Willingness to do security releases

Related, the next development meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, 23
April 2014, as a two part meeting at 15:00 UTC and 22:00 UTC.  Voting
on the project roles will be on the agenda for that meeting.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton