[Koha-devel] Koha and DBIC

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Thu Sep 11 10:15:17 CEST 2014

Its worth keeping in mind that DBIC is an Object Relational mapper and
that as such returns objects which are often better abstrations than
those currently embodied in Koha's module approach which tend to fiddle
with the representation of the entity not always very consistently. In a
multitude of cases a ResultSet of x objects and their inherent getters
and setters is all we need to construct the operations we need. In such
cases wrapping the layer in another one for purely formal reasons
contributes little except for more space to harbour bugs.
DBIC allows you to add extra methods to these objects and I'm sure in
time we'll identify plenty of these but we should be very thorough in
reviewing whether we need them, how we've implemented them and whether
the need is merely pointing up a shortcoming in the schema.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Chief Software Engineer,