[Koha-devel] Koha and DBIC

Kyle Hall kyle.m.hall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:59:05 CEST 2014

Heh, not Fay, Fey ; ) http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Fey-0.40/lib/Fey.pm

> I have been reading this dialogue between Robin and Kyle and thinking to
> myself, “Why was DBIC added in the first place? Was it not to increase
> portability (where is that ‘it does not run on Postgresql!’ person) ,
> ‘simplify’ (at the cost of another learning curve) data access, and provide
> a cleaner abstraction for data access?” So, why was it added? Was it added
> to be more Object Oriented (OO) so we could use it in the way that is being
> discussed? So, I’ll reiterate my question again, which I think will bring
> some clarity to the discussion, what was the point of adding DBIC?

I had always thought it was yes to all those. We discussed the issues in
Edinburgh. That's where the idea of adding another layer of abstraction was
proposed and later discarded.

> P.S. Abstractions are okay, but abstractions upon abstractions are ugly
> for the initial learning curve. If you want people to join the coding
> community, multiple levels of abstractions make it more difficult.

Agreed. That is why I'm making these suggestions.

Kyle