[Koha-devel] Koha and DBIC

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Wed Sep 17 15:49:34 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 08:50:37AM -0400, Mark Tompsett wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> > Just to add to the confusion ;)
> > When I wrote "some Koha::Object" here,
> > I was not literally suggesting Koha::Object,
> > I was thinking of something like Koha::Biblio or Koha::Patron etc.
> That’s what I understood. So physically, we may have the tables we currently have accessed via DBIC, but the Koha::Biblio object would blend DBIC objects related to Biblios and Items. Right? This would mean that Koha::Biblio would provide whatever methods regardless of the backend structure.

Trouble is it sidesteps fixing the schema. The interplay between biblio
and biblioitems will remain a problem for maintenance in future. There
is already special code added to link the classes because their
relationship is not maintained by the database. Special cases tend to
grow over time and spawn more special cases.

C.

--
Colin Campbell
Chief Software Engineer,