[Koha-devel] Discussion for Bug 14757 - Allow the use of Template Toolkit syntax for slips and notices

Kyle Hall kyle.m.hall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 18:52:44 CET 2016

I would like to start the discussion Marcel wanted to have at the dev
meeting.

Right now, we have one bespoke syntax for slips and notices with all kinds
of caveats and limitations.

My first instinct was that we should over time tear out this old syntax and
replace it with TT. However, there are some issues:

1) TT is a bit more complicated ( and more powerful of course ) than our
custom syntax
2) We have an editor for our current syntax ( though it is somewhat
problematic to use at times, as not all fields in the editor are actually
available on the notices where they display )
3) Creating an editor for TT would be somewhat non-trivial if we were to
replace what we have with a better and more advanced way of dealing with
data passed to the slip or notice.

I'm wondering if we should, at least for the time being, consider the
existing notice syntax as the "basic" mode for slips and notices, and have
the ability for TT in notices and slips be an 'advanced' mode.

Basically, that means that nothing will change for librarians. The current
syntax and editor will continue to be what they are. Instead, 'advanced'
users can simply start using TT in their notices and slips. What we will do
is document how to use TT in slips and notices in the manual.

So, what I would do at this point is deprecate my replacement notices (
keeping the new methods where necessary for the advanced mode ), and create
some good documentation. That way we get the power of TT while retaining
backwards compatibility!

What does everyone think?
Kyle

http://www.kylehall.info