[Koha-devel] Questions about the development process of koha

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Jan 5 01:22:10 CET 2016

* Fabricio Soares (fabriciosoares at yahoo.com) wrote:
> My name is Fabricio and participate in a team that studies the Koha in Brazil,
> we are writing a scientific article about the evolution of the development of
> Koha and bug fixes. We evaluate the information contained in Bugzilla and
> GitHub, but still remained some doubts. I would like to have contact with some
> Koha master developer to be able to solve our doubts but could not an email
> address to establish a contact. Below are some of the questions.

For a start
We don't use github, it is just a mirror of the repository, a free back up.

git.koha-community.org is the canonical repository.

> 01) How to divide developers?

I don't understand this question. What are you asking? How developers decide what they
want to work on?

> 02) How the project's maintainers are organized?

There are elections after every feature release (every 6 months)
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Roles_for_3.24

> 03) How they separate new features treatment bugs?

The people submitting a patch or submitting a bug/feature request assign one, but the
release manager has the final decisions

> 04) The developers fixing bugs are the same as producing new features?

Some are, some aren't there were over 80 developers working on Koha in 2015, some did
a lot, some not so much.

> 05) Github users also post questions in bugzilla?

We don't use Github for development of Koha

> 06) Is there any way to relate the github user with bugzilla user?

Don't be distracted by Github, it is just a mirror, no development, or merges are
done there

> 07) Is there any study on incident response time?

Security incident? Our average is 3 days

> 08) They assign a delay so high between the opening of a call and incident
> resolution (average 805 days)?

I don't know where the 805 is coming from? Perhaps you are looking at github not bugzilla?
(Again, ignore github, it is just a mirror)

> 09) As they face the forks LibLime and Kobli?

Not sure what you mean here?

> 10) The project maintainer makes a comparison study between the development of
> Koha and OpenSource and Owners competitors?

Again, I am not sure what you are asking?

> 11) The project maintainers evaluate the response performance to incidents?

Yes

> 12) Any development methodology to the new features is used?

Yes, it is all documented on the wiki

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Guidelines_for_Patch_Acceptance/Rejection
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Coding_Guidelines

But whatever development methodology the developers take in their companies, or individualy is up
to them. As long as they follow the coding guidelines and the code passes QA

Chris