[Koha-devel] Curiosity why is cardnumber field size 16?

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 01:15:44 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I'm curious to know why is Koha's cardnumber field in borrowers table
is historically set to VARCHAR(16) rather than say VARCHAR(255)?
Especially since we now have the CardnumberLength syspref which we
could use to drive the length rather than hardcode it down at 16.

The background of this question: Schools in Nigeria use a
matriculation number which is often larger than 16, as their
cardnumber. Zeno did mention to me in a FB post that
ExtendedPatronAttribute would equally do the job.

Thoughts?

-indranil

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg