[Koha-devel] Let's avoid antecedent confuson too (was Gender-neutral pronouns)

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 19 15:42:53 CEST 2017

Greetings,

+1 to the idea of gender neutral pronouns.

However, the example confused half-awake me. Sometimes the antecedent is not
always clear when using a pronoun, and the pronoun should be avoided.

--- BEGIN SNIP ---
Before:

is( $total, $enrolmentfee_K + $enrolmentfee_J, "Kid growing and become a
juvenile, he should pay " . ( $enrolmentfee_K + $enrolmentfee_J ) );

After:

is( $total, $enrolmentfee_K + $enrolmentfee_J, "Kid growing and become a
juvenile, they should pay " . ( $enrolmentfee_K + $enrolmentfee_J ) );
--- END SNIP ---

Who is to pay? The kid? The guarantor? We also need to avoid antecedent
confusion.

“Kid growing and become a juvenile, they should pay” might be better worded
“A child growing and becoming a juvenile has a fee of “. Because frankly, a
library doesn’t care who pays a fee. They only care that a fee charged for a
particular reason is paid.

This would also clarify that it is the change of class, not a particular
gender that affects the fees, because
“[i]nappropriately using a particular gender can cause confusion, leading
someone to believe that code operates differently based on the value of
borrowers.sex, for instance.”

Just some random morning thoughts.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett