[Koha-devel] Gender-neutral pronouns

Eric Phetteplace ephetteplace at cca.edu
Wed Apr 19 18:56:06 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,

English has a singular "they". It doesn't suggest androgyny, either, from
the definitions I've seen. For instance, Oxford English Dictionary:

2. In anaphoric reference to a singular noun or pronoun of undetermined
gender: he or she.

The first usage example OED provides is from 1375. I don't think replacing
"he" with "she" addresses the problem, it's still assuming a default
gender. It's not too much tricker to search code for he/him & replace with
they/them but that's also just an implementation issue, not a policy one.

It sounds like people are otherwise supportive but I'm not sure what the
next step should be.

Best,
Eric Phetteplace
Systems Librarian