[Koha-devel] Matthias working on Coral <> Koha interface

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Tue Jan 24 16:31:03 CET 2017

Hello Koha & Coral lists,

I'm happy and proud to announce that in the next 3 months, Matthias will
work full time on Coral <> Koha interface.

He can be dedicated to this task thanks to 3 companies that joined their
strength and money to make this possible: Ebsco (45%), BibLibre (40%)
and ByWaterSolutions (15%)

He will start by playing the new features and installer of Coral 2.0.
Then he will improve the specs I've written (and already sent to
some/most of you. If you want them, just ask). Then he will code.

Things he will work on :

  * rebase the Coral <> gokb interface and officially submit it for
    inclusion into Coral. That will be a first step and framework for
    later inclusion of Ebsco KB.
  * work on linking Coral and Koha acquisitions modules: share
    organizations/vendors, budgets, create basket in Koha from a given
    Coral acquisition workflow, share bibliographic records when relevent.

Some general guidelines we will follow:

Coral:

  * we will keep things as ILS-agnostic as possible. It means we will
    use webservices, and never access the Koha DB from Coral
  * Every "linked" feature will be activated through the configurations
    files. If not activated, Coral users will see no change. That's
    important for "Coral without Koha"
  * We will have to add some fields to store the links between ILS and
    Coral data.

Koha:

  * We will mostly add webservices (restful, of course), related to
    acquisition (vendors, budget, baskets, ...).
  * We will have to add some fields to store the links between Koha and
    Coral data.

Hopefully, at the end of those 3 months, we should have a working
version 1, not complete, that could be improved for an easier use. Our
long term goal is to have a fully integrated solution.

--
Paul Poulain, Associé-gérant / co-owner
BibLibre, Services en logiciels libres pour les bibliothèques