[Koha-announce] Koha training workshops

Peter Burnett pburnett at inasp.info
Wed Nov 12 11:55:49 CET 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I am the Head of Library  Development at INASP.

INASP (www.inasp.info) is the International Network for the Availability
of Scientific Publications. It was established by the International
Council for Science (ICSU) in 1992, as a direct response to a study on
how to meet the information needs of scientists in the developing world.
Since 2003 INASP has been a limited company in the United Kingdom and
was registered as a charity in 2004. We are based in Oxford.

INASP's remit is to facilitate innovative programmes that address the
needs of researchers, publishers, librarians and ICT professionals
engaged in research communication in developing and emerging countries.

Recognising that librarians play a crucial role in developing and
emerging countries, both in promoting access to information and in
supporting their user communities, INASP works closely with libraries to
strengthen existing skills and capacity to access, use and disseminate
information. My role is to "identify, develop, manage and implement
activities that assist library and information professionals to meet the
emerging challenges of the digital environment".

With the increasing availability of open-source software, library
automation is again appearing more on the agenda. Although many
libraries may claim to be automated, many of the systems are out-of-date
as there frequently hasn't been the funding to move from the old systems
to the more modern client-server applications.

We have received several requests for training in or the implementation
of library-automation and open-source software (specifically Koha) from
several countries (e.g. Bangladesh, Malawi, Nepal and Uganda) and I am
now writing to this list to enquire whether or not there are any
librarians/IT staff in Koha libraries who might be willing/able to
conduct such workshops. I see from the "Koha users around the world"
list that the number of Koha institutions is growing rapidly - I am
hoping that one or more might be interested in responding to this
request.

Further details can be made available.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Peter

Peter Burnett

Head of Library Development

INASP (International Network for the Availability of Scientific
Publications)

60 St. Aldates

Oxford OX1 1ST

Tel:  +44 (0)1865 253711

Fax: +44 (0)1865 251060

Mobile: +44 (0)782 4504236

email: pburnett at inasp.info

Web:  www.inasp.info

INASP is a registered UK charity: number 1106349