[Koha-devel] [dchud at umich.edu: RE: [oss4lib-discuss] ala report?]

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Sat Jun 23 00:02:47 CEST 2001

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Chudnov <dchud at umich.edu> -----

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Dave Bretthauer wrote:

> Now, Dan, prepare to eat your own words that there won't be an open source
> ILS anytime soon:  Willem Scholten gave an amazing demo of an open source
> ILS called openbook.  You can test drive it at
> http://openbook.trfoundation.org/ and the 0.8 beta source code should be
> available in a couple of weeks.  Linux and Windows installers will complete

This is just a rewrite (or is it a fork) of Koha, right?  Did they talk
about this issue?  The following showed up on the koha list about a month
ago:

  http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2001/000252.html

I very much hope those in both camps (if I'm reading the winds properly
and there are indeed two camps) at least attempt to stay in sync w/r/to
core issues such as data models and APIs.  It looks like Steve from BC is
putting a lot of work into MARC support within Koha, based apparently on
Art's efforts with Pytheas, which is great to see.  It would not be great
to see that work and openbook totally diverge in areas such as this when
they came from the same codebase.

So for now I'll stand by my words about an ILS, and won't change them
until we first see an open source SAP equivalent.  Actually if there were
an free SAP equivalent we could just build the acquisitions and
EDI and circulation pieces out of that, right?  :)

  -Dan

oss4lib-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net
see also http://oss4lib.org

----- End forwarded message -----

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz