[Koha-devel] packaging of koha

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu May 17 23:56:44 CEST 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 11:42:53AM -0700, Tonnesen Steve said:

> Okay, I've started working on making Debian packages of Koha.  Since I'm a
> Debian user, that's my packaging system of choice.  Alien should be able
> to make good rpm packages out of the deb packages.

Yep it should do :-)

> Still to be done:
>
> 1.  Either create and populate, or update existing Koha mysql table.
>   a.  Initial population of the database may be tricky.  I really think we
>       need web-interfaces to more of the MySQL.  Things like itemtypes, in
>       particular, should be editable by the librarians directly.

Definitely, this is where we should talk to Glen Stewart, as he has a system
that he uses to interface with mysql, I think its php based glen?

>   a.  We need a system for updating the tables with new releases.  Things
>       like adding in new tables, or adding new fields to existing tables.
>       I've handled this in the past by creating a version table that holds
>       a version number for the table.  The version number is the same as
>       the koha release number.  A script can then check the version number
>       of the existing database and make all modifications necessary to
>       bring the database up to date with the current release.  (ie if
>       installing v 1.5, and current database is v 1.2, make all necessary
>       changes from 1.2 to 1.3, from 1.3 to 1.4, and from 1.4 to 1.5).

Ahhh yep that sounds like a good way to do it.

> 3.  The intranet virtual server needs authentication of one sort or
>     another.  I maintain accounts with a separate system that I developed
>     called K12Admin which administers staff and student accounts for my
>     entire district.  These accounts are synced into the Koha member
>     database and apache basic authentication files.  I use basic
>     authentication to authenticate the intranet virtual host and plan to
>     do the same for giving members access to their library information.
>     What are other people using?

I use usercode and crypted passwords stored in the koha database. And
Apache::AuthDBI to do the authentication and authorisation. For example only
superlibrarians can do things like catalogue maintenance, so I use
<Location> sections in the apache conf to restrict certain sections to
certain groups.
But I dont have a nice interface to add/remove users .. thats something koha
needs, an admin interface .. ties in with Steves first point we need more
web access to the mysql tables so that ppl can do koha admin basically.

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz