[Koha-devel] Re: Koha Work

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Apr 17 05:13:49 CEST 2002

Nicholas Rosasco wrote:

>Paul --
>
>You've been fairly active on the Koha list, and I'm doing a kind of survey
>as Chris and I are getting concerned about the problems that have popped up
>in re releasing a next version.
>
>What features do you consider highest priority for Koha?

 From a FUNCTIONALITY point of vue :
MARC, MARC, and MARC.
and, also, MARC ;-)
I consider very important thesaurus too. It's, IMHO something really
missing and that causes errors in datas that user enter.

 From a technical point of vue :
I think what should be decided soon is what tool we should use to
separate presentation code and perl code. We spoke a little about perl
template module, then we spoke about XML-XSLT.
I think MARC is a HUGE thing. So, we can't decide to use XML-XSLT
immediatly. That would be 2 BIG projects at the same time, and we have
not enough strength. Should we decide to use perl-template for a moment
? Maybe. It's easier to use, and I know how they work. It's not the case
for XML-XSLT...

>What features are you currently working on?

None.
In a week or 2, I'll be back on koha. I will work on MARC compliance,
and on thesaurus.
If we decide to wait for XML-XSLT AFTER the MARC release, I will
translate koha in french with the tool presently working...

>How extensive are they?  What is your target for getting them done?

I want the MARC version ready to install in french for september.

>What background (if any) do you have with the library specific (MARC,
>Z39.50) items currently under consideration?

Don't understand the question...

>The draft version short term plan is for a real/soon/now release, which will
>become the "stable" and be turned over to a couple, with a new version being
>"opened" as the devel in CVS -- this will start with the stuff Katipo is
>working on for a number of clients, become a stable(probably 1.2.0), then
>the MARC changes will start to go in with 1.3.0.  Any comments, suggestions?

I agree for a really short term stable version. The current one is
really out of date. I can give a help if you want for the sample DB (in
May, I repeat again)
what will be on the katipo stuff ? Is it necessary to build a 1.2 AND a
1.3 version ? I thought the MARC import/export was well advanced, and we
could assume a progressive translation from the non-MARC DB/soft to the
MARC DB/soft ?

>The way documenting -- both support, and code -- is handled is due for an
>overhaul as well -- any thoughts?

Not sure to understand well this sentence...

>Sorry if this sounds like an inquisition, but Chris and I are trying to get
>a handle on the who/what/where, etc.

No, what I think is that we must be more aware about who/what/where...
So, I'm happy to answer ;-)
Last thing, it should be important for me to have a uptodate view of who
is really working on koha. And who is who too. I'm quite new on this
project, so I don't understand everybody history and experience. (who is
from katipo, who is not, who already use koha in a library,...)

>Thanks

De rien (in french :-) )
--
Paul