[Koha-devel] Thoughts about Javascript in Koha 2.0

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Dec 2 09:41:57 CET 2002

Ambrose Li a écrit:

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:54:16PM -0000, bugzilla-daemon at wilbur.katipo.co.nz wrote:
>

>>Note : yes, checks are performed only on client side.
>>I agree this is not very secure, but it's a rarely modified
>>value and koha 2.0
>>will need :
>>* IE5+ or Mozilla/Netscape 6+
>>* javascript enabled.
>>

>Hmm, I don't know the rationale behind the change -- I suppose
>it is for ease of programming --, but I will be one who will be
>"voting against it" (if my vote counts).
>
>It is better (from an accessibility point of view) to remove
>the dependency on Javascript instead of to strengthen it. By
>removing I don't mean all checks must be done on server side;
>my ideal web app would use Javascript checks if Javascript
>is there, but fall back on a server-side check if there's no
>Javascript. We can code the checks in something other than perl
>& Javascript, and generate both the real Javascript and Perl
>code at "install time".
>
>IMHO, an open-source web app should take care to cater to
>text-browser users (e.g., they might be blind).
>
>I suppose it is fine to make the librarian module work only with
>IE5+/Mozilla (though I still would not like to see that happen);
>but I think the OPAC must not depend on Javascript.

Of course, I was speaking of the librarian interface only, not of the opac.
The javascript && ie5+/netscape6 is needed for improved ergonomy, to
avoid server calls when possible.
You can see in marc acquisition.simple system why we need them :
* client side verif of mandatory values
* 10 tabs, hidden and shown through javascript too. I Could not do this
under nn4, even with javascript.

I agree about the necessity to re-check on server side the values sended
in a form, but to be honest, without javascript, marc biblioadd won't
work at all :-\, so I presumed it's on. I agree it's not a good thing/

--
Paul POULAIN
responsable francophone de koha (SIBGB libre http://fr.koha.org)