[Koha-devel] Re: Developer

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Dec 2 13:03:08 CET 2002

Ed Summers a écrit:

>Salut Paul,

do u speak french ?

>>In fact, Steve pointed me a solution with the official MARC::Record.
>>Now, we don't need a patched version.
>>

>Wonderful.
>
>>VERY IMPORTANT thing. Can u tell us more ?
>>

>Sure, I've been working on MARC::Charset [1] which allows people to translate
>character data encoded in MARC-8 [2] to Unicode (UTF8). As you may know already
>the MARC-8 environment allowed libraries work with Roman, Greek, Cyrillic,
>Hebrew and Asian characters when Unicode was just a glimmer in a young
>programmers eye. The only bummer is that MARC-8 characters don't work in
>HTML or XML very well. I've got the 8 bit translations working well, and am
>working on getting the 32 bit encodings to work (the huge East Asian set).
>
>Queens Public Library contacted me because they had a slightly different
>request. They were wondering if it would be possible to take a batch of records
>containing transliterated Russian, and add 880 fields [3] that contain the
>Cyrillic equivalent. It's still a work in progress, and it's only for Russian,
>but it appears to be coming along. I used MARC::Charset as part of a web based
>demo to show what the Cyrillic would look like in the new records. Most web
>browsers can display UTF8 now without too much trouble.

alleluia !
great new. Is it planned to inclut this into MARC::Record ? as loading
french unimarc record is a pain for extended characters at the moment.

>>And, 1.3 needs heavily testing. should not be too far from good
>>stability (2.0RC1).  Still misses MARC searches, and MARC export.
>>

>I'd like to take a stab at writing some automated tests, since it would be a
>good place for me to start learning about how KOHA works.

yep. And it's something nobody cares until then (except for our
benevolent dictator, which asked many times, but nobody obey :-) )

--
Paul POULAIN
responsable francophone de koha (SIBGB libre http://fr.koha.org)