[Koha-devel] some more thoughts on marc linkage of call number...

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Dec 9 09:43:01 CET 2002

Ambrose Li [CCCGT] a écrit:

>Hi,
>
>I am thinking of the "093" field we use here. It has the following
>structure (as far as I understand):
>
>   a LC classification number
>   c Cutter number
>   y Year of publication
>     - can be null (if a+c already uniquely identifies a book)
>     - if not null, can be followed by a letter (a, b, c, etc.)
>       if a+c+year cannot uniquely identify a book
>   v Volume number (V.1, V.2, etc.) or other things like INDEXES,
>     MANUAL, etc.
>
>What if there is a feature where we can map more than one subfield
>(e.g., c+y+v here) to one Koha field (e.g., biblioitems.subclass)?
>Would this make any sense?

it makes sense if you plan to use marc and non marc db back-end.
if you plan to use only marc, i think you can avoid a link.
if you really want to link, maybe *classification* is what you're
looking for, but katipans should know better. Anyway, subclass is only
char(3), so, a little bit too short.

--
Paul POULAIN
responsable francophone de koha (SIBGB libre http://fr.koha.org)