[Koha-devel] full text search

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Dec 10 02:06:02 CET 2002

Anthony W. Youngman a écrit:

> Have you read the MySQL licence ...
>
> I don't know whether you're that bothered (Koha being gpl and all
> that), but the MySQL licence specifically splits systems built on top
> of it into ones that *can* *use* MySQL as one back end among many, and
> others that *need* *MySQL*.
>
> As I say, since Koha is gpl maybe you don't care, but maybe others
> might ...
>
> And if you're going to do this, for $DEITY's sake make it an
> *optional* module, so that should people not want MySQL, they can just
> leave this module out and then they're still independent ...

In fact, i think that the "need" mySQL refers to licence constraint : if
your licence disable the opportunity for the user to use something else,
then mySQL must be buyed.
For us, as it's gpl, the "must" is a technical constraint, which is not
covered by the mySQL constraint. MANY softwares works only on mySQL (1
"replace", which is mySQL-only, and your software is mysql dependant.
And almost everybody uses replace when developping on mySQL)

--
Paul POULAIN
responsable francophone de koha (SIBGB libre http://fr.koha.org)