[Koha-devel] full text search

Francisco M. Marzoa Alonso fmmarzoa at gmx.net
Tue Dec 10 02:38:02 CET 2002

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 11:23, Chris Cormack wrote:

> When you distribute a non-GPL application that only works with the MySQL
> software and ship it with the MySQL software. This type of solution is
> actually considered to be linking even if it's done over a network.
>
> Since we neither ship Koha with MySQL, nor is Koha non-GPL. The license is
> not an issue. And Koha and MySQL being GPLd prevents it from ever becoming
> one.
>
> The technical constraint is the actual issue, and im not against binding
> koha to specific db in principle.
> If the benefits gained are such to warrant the disadvantages.

I think there's still a chance to mantain koha indepedent from a database
engine while using specific database engine optimizations: A new abstraction
layer may be created in places where optimizations are used. This layer could
be implemented as a class. Something like this:

package Koha::Search

sub new {
}

sub search {
	$dbeng = shift;
	$keywords = shift;

	if (lc($dbeng) eq 'mysql') {
		# Perform search with mysql optimizations
	} elsif (lc ($dbeng) eq 'postgresql') {
		# Perform search with postgresql optimizations
	} elsif ...
		# Perform search with X database engine optimizations
	} else {
		# Use standard SQL
	}
}