[Koha-devel] Re: Possible feature on Koha

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Tue Jun 4 14:37:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Rosalie Blake wrote:

> Hi Marcel,
> Nice to get your email, and thank you kindly for the encouraging
> words. I'm a non-techie librarian, but I'm forwarding your letter to
> our chief programmer, and the koha developers list, both of whom
> will have wise words on the problems you raise.
> Thanks again.
> Cheers,
> Rosalie
> On 4 Jun 2002, at 12:12, Marcel (Free Thinker at Large)  Gagné wrote:
>

> > Hello from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada!
> >
> > Quick intro for starters.  I write a number of Linux articles for
> > various publications including Linux Journal, InformIT, SysAdmin, Unix
> > Review, and others.  I'm also the author of the book, "Linux System
> > Administration, A User's Guide".  Anyhow, I'm always on the lookout
> > for new and cool things to write about and I've been looking at a
> > couple of library automation systems that might be fun to cover.
> > Incidentally, I used to work for Dynix, a (at one time anyway) rather
> > large library automation software company.  But I digress . . .

Hello Marcel,

I've read and enjoyed many of your articles.  I never put your name
together with my stint at Dynix though (1993-4).  Good to 'see' you again.

I think koha would make an excellent topic for one (or more) article(s).

> > I've been taking Koha out for a spin and it looks like an excellent
> > library automation system.  I would like to write about it and give it
> > some press, but there are a few problems that I wonder if you could
> > address for me.  For starters, I'm curious as to how close you are to
> > the next release as this might answer some of my other concerns.

Koha 1.2 is looming (we're hoping for a June release).  The 1.2 series is
mostly about stabilization and minor improvements.  RC tarballs are
already available, but you could probably get a better feel for things by
looking at the wiki
<http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=KohaProject> and at our
irc logs <http://www.haz.cmsd.bc.ca/cgi-bin/kohalog.pl>.

BTW, you're welcome to join us on the irc at any time, <irc.katipo.co.nz
#koha>.

In addition, we're looking at a 1.4 release in the Q3/Q4 timeframe.  This
version represents a bigger step for us.  We'll be including MARC features
as well as more language options (we're hoping to see French and Spanish,
perhaps some others as well).

> > There are only really two big issues for me.  The first has to do with
> > installation which seems rather complex and demands multiple servers
> > (or virtual servers).  I was able to get around that myself but it's a
> > bit much to ask others who might be a tad less technically oriented
> > (even if I do a good job of explaining <insert appropriate smiley
> > here>).

We're working on an installer script which should alleviate much of this
difficulty.  It should be making a first appearance in the 1.2 release
series.

> > Second (and this is a big one), is there a means to modify that fields
> > on screen.  The BIG REASON for this question has to do with the
> > "Ethnicity" question on your borrower page.  As this sort of question
> > is strictly forbidden in North America, I can't possibly recommend
> > Koha to my readers if this cannot be changed.  It's an instant
> > show-stopper.

/nods/

Yes, this and other issues are being addressed.  Again, look for the 1.2
and 1.4 series of releases.

> > Whether or not I can go ahead with the article at this time, I will
> > say that I am impressed with the work you've done so far.  I wish you
> > the best.

Thank you.   I hope you like the changes that are looming on the horizon.
If you decide to go ahead with the article, please don't hesitate to get
in touch.  We'd love to help.

-pate
Pat Eyler
Koha Kaitiaki