[Koha-devel] Bug to think about when working on the MARC database

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Mon Jun 10 19:32:02 CEST 2002

Hi all

Currently there is a bug/feature in koha when it comes to searching for
titles that have a ' in them.

For example on

http://intradev.katipo.co.nz/catalogue/
Title search for asta's

Finds asta's book. Which is fine... searching for astas finds nothing.

The HLT librarians and suspect most librarians would like the a title
search for astas to find asta's book.

An idea I had was to have another field in the biblio table, called
search title, which has the ' and - , plus stopwords such as and, the
etc removed. This is the field searched .

Then I thought we might not want to restrict this to just the title, we
probably want it for author, and subtitle etc.

So I was thinking of having a separate table, that we used for
searching, which was keyed by biblionumber back to the biblio table and
had entrys like
biblionumber,entry,type   where type = author, or subtitle or title etc.

Does this fit with the work being done with MARC ? are there better ways
to do this?

Chris

Chris Cormack                                      chris at katipo.co.nz
Programmer                                                025 500 579
Katipo Communications                                www.katipo.co.nz