[Koha-devel] Re: aah! a linux consultant!

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Wed Jun 19 06:20:03 CEST 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:

> Actually  koha would be a good niche consulting market.

I think it would be, and I hope we can stack up a variety of folks
interested in supporting it to go this route.   It would be good to see
the improvements in stability that would come out of people being paid to
support it (and develop it for that matter).

> Dynix!!  Oh my... Glendale public library system uses that thing!
> from what I understand there is a a replacement for it now.. it was amazing
> in it's day though,   the system they had prior to that had no key word
> search.... I was  in the tech services office the  day  one of the gals came
> back in to tell everyone how neat keyword search was. The maint fees  on
> dynix are pretty high  from what I understand on a yearly basis...

My understanding is that most commercial products have pretty heavy
maintenance fees.

> the openbook product or whatever the are calling it now .... well it is
> interesting to see if they  actually pull it off this time... the fellow in
> charge is really bright on library methodology was former head of tech
> services for city of Seattle..  so conceptually he  should be able to come up
> with something to  please the market, although I think he has to pay
> programmers to implementing it grovel for grants.. etc etc etc.  do not think
>  he is a code writer.....
>
> it is a pity  he did not team up with  the effort here... I have the feeling
> in his area he would put us all to shame....

/me nods

> Funny story,  they were going to come out with the technical beta on the
> product and were supposed to have the instructions finished and the files
> posted by one  afternoon.... They all blew the day off to go to a baseball
> game.....   meanwhile there were a bunch of folk out there (including myself)
> waiting to download this thing and no code to download!
>
> Well, the next afternoon the files wee up and the install instructions had so
> many flaws in them unless you did some deductive reasoning it would not have
> worked at all.  What an evening of self abuse that was! ( I was starting to
> feel like the cdk pearl  fellow)

ouch

> do you currently have a school you are  trying to help automate?

not at the moment, though i'm helping out with a couple of cases (pro
bono)

-pate