[Koha-devel] templating

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon May 13 13:08:02 CEST 2002

Tonnesen Steve wrote:

>After a bit of playing with HTML::Template I have the following proposal
>
>Templates stored in includes directory under templates subfolder, each
>module (ie search, circ, catalog, etc.) has another subfolder, then
>another subfolder for each template, and then subfolders for each version
>of that template.

If we really want to have a "plug-in" system that permits many looks
and/or many languages, we must have a directory for each plug-in. thus,
we MUST have, under the template directory :
DEFAULT
    opac
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
    librarian
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
        biblio_add.tmpl
        circulation.tmpl
    images
        image1.gif
        anotherimage.gif
FRENCH
    opac
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
    librarian
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
        biblio_add.tmpl
        circulation.tmpl
    images
        image1.gif
        anotherimage.gif
MY_GREAT_NEW_LOOK
    opac
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
    librarian
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
        biblio_add.tmpl
        circulation.tmpl
    images
        image1.gif
        anotherimage.gif
AQUA_LOOK
    opac
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
    librarian
        search.tmpl
        search_result.tmpl
        biblio_add.tmpl
        circulation.tmpl
    images
        image1.gif
        anotherimage.gif

Thus we can easily create a new "look" (directory copy + modifiing it),
and build a .tar.gz dedicated to the plug-in.
When koha is launched, you just have to scan the "template" directory
and list all sub-directories.
We could even have 2 librarians with a different look. (which may be
interesting for international libraries like mine ;-) )
This structure is used by softs like nuke / post-nuke, and are great.
--
Paul