[Koha-devel] about cvs usage

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Thu May 16 05:59:02 CEST 2002

On 16 May 2002, Chris Cormack wrote:

(I think this bit is from Paul)
> It seems i've problems with cvs...
> so, what I do :
> * if i want to work on rel_1_2 branch :
> # cvs -z3 -b rel_1_2
> -d:ext:tipaul at cvs.koha.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/koha co koha
> It update my local files to "rel_1_2" status.
> Then I work.
> Then I do
> # cvs commit file_modified
> It commits file_modified to the rel_1_2 branch.
>
> * if i want to work on main branch (development one), i do :
> # cvs -z3 -d:ext:tipaul at cvs.koha.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/koha co koha
> It updates my local files to main branch.
> Then I work.
> Then I do
> # cvs commit file_modified
> It commits file_modified to main branch.
>
> I just tried to do it on main branch, and it does nothing... So I think
> i'm doing something wrong, but what ?
>

> Hi Paul
>
> What I have, is 3 checkouts running at the moment. What i did was
> checkout the main branch and its now called koha-main.
> Checked out the rel-1-2 branch and moved it to koha-rel-1-2 and checked
> out the rel-1-4-marc one.
>
> This is probably a bit of a workaround on my part. But it seems to work
> well, in terms of working in separate branches.

This is what I do as well.  I have a koha directory with koha, rc, and
rel_1_2 subdirs.  koha contains a checkout from the main line, rc has an
unpacked copy of the latest RC tarball, and rel_1_2 contains a checkout
from the rel_1_2 branch.

For the moment I'm ignoring the rel-1-4 branch, but will eventually create
a dir for that as well (when we're ready to start merging 1.2 fixes into
1.3).

> Id be interested in hearing how others work.
>
> Question for bugfixes : if i du a small bugfix that affect 1_2 branch as
> well as main one, how do i commit the change in both ? or maybe i just
> have to correct in 1_2 branch and we have a method to copy it to the
> main one after.
>
> Im fairly certain we can merge changes back from a branch into the main.
> http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_5.html#SEC61 Tells you a little
> bit about it. Im not sure whether there is a french version of these
> documents.

Yes, this can be done.  Another source to read through is:

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Merging_Changes_From_Branch_To_Trunk

(which also has spanish, german, and japanese translations.  french isn't
there yet, but it is under an open license so there is nothing blocking
someone from starting a translation.)