[Koha-devel] Re: cataloging on the koha ils

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Nov 6 02:03:02 CET 2002

Rosalie Blake wrote:

>Hello Michelle,
>I can only answer part of your question, but I'm sending both your
>question and my reply to the kohalist, where people with eperience
>in MARC will pick it up, and offer some more answers, I'm sure.
>
>Koha is easy for novice cataloguers. As a small public library, we
>don't need detailed cataloguing for most records, and we do need
>fast records - we like to get our books on the shelf without delay. So
>we don't import MARC records any longer. We used to, but gave it
>up some years back, when we realised it wasn't meeting our needs -
>too slow and too detailed, and sometimes not appropriate.
>
>But I am very well aware that other libraries' priorities are different,
>and a team of Koha developers has been working on the MARC
>interface - notably Paul Poulain. I will leave him to comment on your
>questions about auto-coding.

oups... I almost missed this mail ;-)

>>Hi:  Is koha easy to use for "novice" catalogers?  Does it have a fill
>>in the blanks template with author, title, publisher, etc., which
>>auto-codes marc?  Does the cataloger need to be very familiar,
>>somewhat familiar or unfamiliar with marc code?  Please advise.  Also,
>>please share your personal views on the koha system.  I tried out the
>>Koha OPAC at Horowhenua Library Trust via the web and it looks
>>impressive. best regards from,

A more complete answer for MARC cataloguing :
The new 1.4 version will support complete every marc flavor (through a
parameter table).
A LOT of things can be parameterised :
* you can define up to 4 differents marc templates (for example :
monographies, periodics, audio and other).
* for each template you can define exactly which marc fields you want to
manage or ignore. Thus, you can choose Z44-050 or if you prefer Z44-072
or Z44-073 for monographies.
* Each subfield can be of one of the 3 following types :
- free (anything can be entered)
- listed values only (you enter in a parameter table authorised values,
and you can only choose between those values)
- in authority file only (you can enter any value in a authority
parameter table. You can have as many "categories" of authorities as you
want)
* The MARC cataloguing is done through (upto) 10 tabs on the same page.
you can choose which field you put on which tab.

So, I think MARC cataloguing can be, to your choice, very simple (10
values on 1 tab) or very complete (400 values on 10 tabs).
Note that MARC21 in english and UNIMARC in french parameters tables are
already done. Any help welcomed to add more...
--
Paul POULAIN
koha 1.4 release manager