[Koha-devel] Some thoughts about the "Dewey" field (was: What's a "Dewey"?)

Ambrose Li a.c.li at ieee.org
Thu Nov 28 06:03:08 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:58:49AM +0100, paul POULAIN wrote:

> He is the creator of... the dewey decimal classification.  A
> dewey number is xxx.yyy If you assign a dewey num=004.716, you
> mean the notice is about "PC peripheral"

I think this is also related to someone asking about using LC
classification instead of Dewey. ("My" library also uses LC. I
never really started inputting any substantial amount of test
data... sorry.)

Regarding that question, would the meaning of the Dewey field
be changed so that it would hold any local call number? Or would
there be separate fields for Dewey and LC? (In that case what
if the library uses something else? Some Chinese libraries
use some standard that could be translated as the "Chinese book
classification system"; it looks like Dewey but is not.)

If the Dewey field is going to mean just any local call number,
should the templates say "Call number" instead of "Dewey"?