[Koha-devel] Templating design

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Oct 2 01:36:48 CEST 2002

Finlay Thompson wrote:

>i Everyone,
>
>It seems that everyone had a email conversation about the way templating
>is being done in koha. I have been working on templating the opac. Let
>me explain what I have done, which is not to say that it is the right
>way :-)
>
>Firstly I should point out that I have been developing on the rel-1-2
>branch, but will probably merge this into the 1.3 release.

Did you commit it ? I'm not sure, i see almost nothing. If you've
commited, let me know how many (and which) files are in the CVS.

>If you want to go and check it out go to http://opacdev.katipo.co.nz
>you can login using user:pword = frank:frank or finlay:finlay
>
>CVS: All the templates are going into the koha-tmpl tree of cvs.
>under this root we have two sub-branches intranet-tmpl/ and opac-tmpl/
>eveything onder there should be installed in koha/intra/htdocs/ and
>koha/opac/htdocs/ respectivly.

OK, that's clear. Hope everybody reads this.

>I suggest that we try hard to keep the templates and scripts with the
>same names.....

not try very hard, but MUST...

>includes and images go under the <theme>/<lang>/ directory.....
>
>An example:
>The opac-search.pl script presents the search form in the opac.
>see: http://opacdev.katipo.co.nz/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl
>
>it calls the opac-search.tmpl template which in this instance is found
>in the default/en/ theme and language.
>
>There is an include at the top: cat-top.inc and this is found in
>default/en/includes/cat-top.inc all the images in the templates are
>prefixed by the HTML::Template tag: <TMPL_VAR NAME="themelang">
>eg. src="<TMPL_VAR NAME='themelang'>/images/search-button.gif"
>This template variable is automatically passed to includes and is
>automatically loaded into the template by the template loading
>subroutine.....

Nice, fast and clear. Great.

>Template loading:
>The relevant code in opac-search.pl is:
>
>	use C$::Output;
>	my $template = gettemplate("opac-search.tmpl", "opac");

So, the picktempate sub can be dropped (in Output.pm from both 1.2 and
main branch) ?
and most templated scripts must be touched (1-2 line modify)

>I will update the reading material on:
>http://koha.org/contribute/templating/
>
>Finlay

Looking at your code (v1.2) show :
* we must add 2 rows in systempref table :
-> opaclanguages
-> opacthemes
    (note : why having opac and not intranet ?)

* we must add 2 lines in the config file :
-> opachtdocs
-> intrahtdocs

Am I right ? If yes, then, you're the templating coordinator, so I
agree, and will soon move already templated scripts to the good
directory structure.
But i'll wait for your confirmation (am i right ? is there scripts that
you still haven't commit ?)
--
Paul