[Koha-devel] we've got a winner :-) => IMPORTANT

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Oct 3 18:34:04 CEST 2002

 On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:18:27AM +1000, Roger Buck said:

> > > Andrew Arensburger wrote:
> > > On the whole, I agree that /etc/koha.conf should contain as little
> > > as possible. I'm just trying to come up with scenarios in which it would
> > > make sense to put additional stuff in /etc/koha.conf.
> >
> > We run three independent Kohas on a single web server. This requires
> > three separate copies of koha.conf (hardwired in Output.pm). This also
> > requires that we run six virtual hosts and a complicated file structure
> > with lots of duplication. This also means that I have spent a lot of
> > time evauating various options for file structure and configuration.

Hmm I think you could get around this quite easily by setting an ENV
variable in apache for your virtual hosts with the location of koha.conf in
it. Then making Output.pm fetch it from the environment variable.
We could set this up quite easily for you if you liked?

Also with the use of Alias and ScriptAlias commands you could remove all
duplication, see below for an example.

Especially with the move to templates, so there will be no more static html
files

 Eg
 <VirtualHost koha1.something.org>
     ServerAdmin webmaster at something.org
     DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/koha/htdocs
     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/www/koha/cgi-bin/
     ErrorLog /var/log/apache/koha1-error.log
     TransferLog /var/log/apache/koha1-access.log
     SetEnv KOHACONF /etc/koha1.conf
 </VirtualHost>

 <VirtualHost koha2.something.org>
     ServerAdmin webmaster at something.org
     DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/koha/htdocs
     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/www/koha/cgi-bin/
     ErrorLog /var/log/apache/koha1-error.log
     TransferLog /var/log/apache/koha2-access.log
     SetEnv KOHACONF /etc/koha2.conf
 </VirtualHost>

 <VirtualHost koha3.something.org>
     ServerAdmin webmaster at something.org
     DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/koha/htdocs
     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/www/koha/cgi-bin/
     ErrorLog /var/log/apache/koha1-error.log
     TransferLog /var/log/apache/koha3-access.log
     SetEnv KOHACONF /etc/koha3.conf
 </VirtualHost>

 All 3 using the same htdocs and same cgi-bin. Or you could have different
 docroots, but still make them all use the same images and includes eg

 Alias /images  /usr/local/www/koha/htdocs/images
 Alias /includes /usr/local/www/koha/htdocs/includes

 I think that whatever we do, it still needs to be easy to have virtualhosts.
 The way koha is heading, there is definitely going to be the want/need to
 split services over many boxes.
 I can certainly see people wanting an opac server and an intranet server.

 So I think that the path we are going down, using HTML::Template and
 splitting  the opac further away from the intranet code. Is a good one.

 I wouldnt like to see a solution that makes it easier for small libraries
 making it harder for big libraries.

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz