[Koha-devel] Search UI

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Sat Oct 5 19:02:01 CEST 2002

Thanks for the nice clear overview.

[--snip--]

I think your proposal starting with new page layout, is great.

Some additional comments based on our own experience - YMMV:

The current "subject" search provides poor results unless a user has a
great deal of familiarity with what is in the database - as a casual
user I find this surprising.

To overcome this problem, we have supplementary levels of search:

1. Search by keyword only

2. Pre-configured, hard coded URL's. This is made up of several pages of
links - a kind of "librarians favourite bookmarks". Each link has a
short description.

3. Drop down boxes which contain pre-set option lists for searches on
particular subjects, series etc.

The pre-configured searches are popular but this may be more due to the
library style. For example, one catalogue is for K-12 resources for kids
with learning difficulties; where many patrons are looking for resource
collections/series rather than individual items.

In general - I'd go along with all your suggestions... and more ;^)

R.