[Koha-devel] Koha Themes Howto

Dorian Meid dnmeid at tfh-berlin.de
Mon Oct 7 10:11:02 CEST 2002

Roger Buck schrieb:
> Please see first draft of the documentation on wiki (OK Nick?):
>
>  http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=ThemeHowTo
>
> All are invited to add/delete/modify as they see fit.
cool, a few comments:
1. It's nice to have the themelang-variable, but you don't need it
necessarily.
   If you template is in /children/es you images will be there too
(assuming a setup with your dirs as below)
2. I'd prefer intranet-serverroot and opac-serverroot than
koha/intra/htdocs/ and koha/opac/htdocs/.
3. The includes via ssi are getting replaced by includes via
HTML::Template <TMPL_INCLUDE NAME=...>

> Important to standardise file structure ASAP (my usual hobby-horse!)
agree

> > In my opinion storing the templates together with images, css and so on
> > is not a big problem but it increases the html-like-aproach to designin
> > a theme (some tags in the html get replaced automatically by the
> > scripts). I think this is what html::template was made for.
>
> I still am not convinced about the last paragraph. From my trials , use
> of .css seems to offer some major advantages. I also see advantage to
> storing templates along with everything else in a single tree structure
> in the webspace? - see wiki for example code simplification when using
> .css combined with HTML::Template.
Right, maybe my english is too bad, but this is what I thought.

Your css-example to deal with intranet/opac is a little bit early.
.css are nice, but we have to improve the designing-process step by
step.
For now all I want to do is to templatify all the koha-scripts.

> As I NOW see it, the web space file system might look like:

>                          ./images
>                          ./includes
>                          ./styles
>                          ./jscripts
>                          ./help
>                          ./catalogue
>                          ./members
>                          ./whatever...
>
> This means that each theme is effectively almost a virtual server  in
> terms of file structure (I think I have this right Dorian?). This would
> require a change in current CVS thinking.

Exactly as I see it.

I'd love to hear Finlay's ok for this.

> I am still hoping to get some feedback on the following:
>
> Roger Buck wrote:
> > 1. I am using Steve's RC14 as the base distribution - is that OK?
Sorry, don't know, since i'm working with the latest cvs-files for quite
a while now.

> > 2. I need to know how the theme variable is set. Do I need to create a
> > new table... do I need to creata a new entry in ssytempreferences (if
> > so, then what syntax)... do I need to make an entry in koha conf (if so
> > then what syntax) or should I make a temporary entry in Output.pm... or
> > should I do something else?
At the moment you have to set a vaiable in the systempreferences.
Name=opacthemes
Value=theme1 theme2 theme3 ...
you have to specify at least one theme
The name OPACthemes is a little confusing as it is even for the intranet

dorian