[Koha-devel] questions about koha (from a library)

Tonnesen Steve tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca
Mon Oct 7 13:06:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Pat Eyler wrote:

> There's a largish library that is thinking about using Koha.  They've come
> up with a long list of questions that they'd like answered, and I'd like
> to get some other peoples feedback before I start answering.  Please have
> a look at these, and reply to those that you feel comfortable talking
> about.  thanks,
> -pate
>
> ----------------------Questions----------------------------
>
> 	1 -- Which operating system, or choice of systems, does the proposed
> library automation system run on?

Linux primarily, other unices should work fine, but may require some
manual installation work.

> 	2 -- Is system administration done with command lines or a graphical
> module?  We should see it.

Graphical (web interface)

> 	3 -- What is the backup utility?  Does it use tapes?

Koha does not currently include a backup utility.  There are some options
for backing up, all of which involve backing up the underlying MySQL
databases that Koha uses:

1.  Add a crontab entry that rsync's the data to a backup server
2.  Set up a replicating MySQL server (this could also be a complete
    backup installation of Koha, or a couple of Koha installations that
    are used only for non-write functions such as opac searching, report
    generation, etc.)

[others?]

> 	5 -- What administrative functions or upgrades require the system to
> be off-line, and for how long?

There are currently no administrative functions that require the system to
be off line.  The system should be taken offline for upgrades

> 	6 -- Is there a backup module for circulation in case the system is
> down?

No.

> 	7 -- Describe the way customer support works, what it covers, and
> hours of service.

Paid support is provided by...  refer to web page?

http://koha.org/installation/support.html

> 	9 -- Describe the capacity for integrating selfcheck machines with
> the system.  Is it SIP1/SIP2/NCIP compliant?

No.  This functionality has been requested by another library and, I
believe, will be at least partially funded by them.

> 	10 -- What report writing capability does the system have?

HLT uses a client (UrbanSQL I think?) that connects to the MySQL database
for generating reports.

It is also possible to create cgi scripts that access the MySQL data for
generating reports.  This is the method that I use.

> 	11 -- What "canned" reports are available?

Limited at the moment...  I'd really like to see this improved.

> 	12 -- Is there an API available?  Can we develop applications that
> can directly access the database?

The API is completely open, and there are no restrictions on developing
applications that use this API.  If you make changes to Koha source code
and redistribute it, you must only make sure that you are in compliance
with the GNU Public License (GPL) that Koha is distributed under.

[Do we need to clarify any other GPL issues here?]

> 	15 -- Is the system client-server or web based?

web-based

> 	16 -- What is the capacity for e-mail functions, including e-mail
> notices?

This feature is being added now and should be completed this month?

That's my start at answers...

Steve.