[Koha-devel] koha 1,4, templating and css

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Oct 9 03:07:03 CEST 2002

Hi,

Finlay, a few days ago, said :
"However, there is no reason we can have heaps of CSS in the templated
koha. It just goes into files that are read in through <TMPL_INCLUDE
NAME="stylesheet"> tags."

I agreed, but, i'm less sure now...
I explain :
css has 2 goals : one important, and one less.
* the 1st goal, as finlay said, is to separate content from style. The
<TMPL_INCLUDE> solution respects this.
* the 2nd goal is to lower data traffic between server and client : the
html does not contain many "style tags" as they are all in the css, and
the css, when extenal, is CACHED, and passed only once to the client !

If we use css inclusion in htm file, we loose the 2nd goal.
But...
it we use a <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">, we
must put the style sheet in htdocs scope, not in cgi.
Thus, we need a /template/<theme>/<lang> in both cgi and htdocs.

what do you think of this ? do you have a problem with having a
/template... in htdocs as well as in cgi-bin ? do you think we can
forget "data traffic optimization" ?

I *vote* for the <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="style.css"> solution, having a good traffic optimization and a
/template/... in htdocs.
I know that *chris* has the *same* opinion (irc)
Note anyway I agree that a theme/language should use always the same
css. Maybe, every language for a theme will use the same !

Note also i'm working on default/en/style.css, so expect it soon on cvs
! It will respect completly the look of the actual koha, so migration
from non-css to css can be done on the fly.
--
Paul