[Koha-devel] koha 1,4, templating and css

Dorian Meid dnmeid at tfh-berlin.de
Wed Oct 9 04:49:04 CEST 2002

paul POULAIN schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Finlay, a few days ago, said :
> "However, there is no reason we can have heaps of CSS in the templated
> koha. It just goes into files that are read in through <TMPL_INCLUDE
> NAME="stylesheet"> tags."
>
> I agreed, but, i'm less sure now...
> I explain :
> css has 2 goals : one important, and one less.
> * the 1st goal, as finlay said, is to separate content from style. The
> <TMPL_INCLUDE> solution respects this.
> * the 2nd goal is to lower data traffic between server and client : the
> html does not contain many "style tags" as they are all in the css, and
> the css, when extenal, is CACHED, and passed only once to the client !
>
> If we use css inclusion in htm file, we loose the 2nd goal.
> But...
> it we use a <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">, we
> must put the style sheet in htdocs scope, not in cgi.
> Thus, we need a /template/<theme>/<lang> in both cgi and htdocs.
>
> what do you think of this ? do you have a problem with having a
> /template... in htdocs as well as in cgi-bin ? do you think we can
> forget "data traffic optimization" ?

We don't need a <theme>/<lang>/ structure in the cgi-tree.
The scripts in the cgi-tree are the same for all themes and languages.
We allready have a <theme>/<lang>/ structure in the
htdocs(serverroot)-tree.

Roger Buck wrote:
> As I NOW see it, the web space file system might look like:

>                          ./images
>                          ./includes
>                          ./styles
>                          ./jscripts
>                          ./help
>                          ./catalogue
>                          ./members
>                          ./whatever...
>
> This means that each theme is effectively almost a virtual server  in
> terms of file structure (I think I have this right Dorian?). This would
> require a change in current CVS thinking.

and you can include it with <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="styles/style.css">
or with <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/<TMPL_VAR
NAME="themelang">/styles/style.css">

Where is the problem?

dorian