[Koha-devel] koha 1,4, templating and css

Ambrose Li acli at cccgt.dyn.dhs.org
Wed Oct 9 12:15:09 CEST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:59:25PM +0200, paul POULAIN wrote:
> >	As I understand it, stylesheets specify colors, fonts, and all
> >of those little presentation details. In particular, AIUI, stylesheets
> >do not specify content.
> >	So why would the *.css files go in <theme>/<lang>? How are the
> >French link colors different from the Italian or German colors?
> >
> You're right, here...

Actually CSS2 style sheets can specify some text content, though
I don't think anyone uses this "feature", & I think it's a bad
idea to do so in any case. IIRC, the standard has an example of
this using the Q element as an example.

Regarding the notion of "presentation details", one thing I
always mention is that it is grammatically wrong to underline
links in Chinese pages. No one cares, but the underline is a
punctuation mark, meaning the underlined word is a proper noun.
"Presentation details" may be important for a language we don't
know about.

(The W3C guys seems to not realize this fact about "presentation
details", and is thus making HTML less Chinese friendly; it also
proposes features which are completely useless for languages they
are designed for.  But that's another story.)

--
Ambrose Li

``A good style should show no sign of effort;
  what is written should seem a happy accident.'' ~ Somerset Maugham