[Koha-devel] koha 1,4, templating and css

Dorian Meid dnmeid at tfh-berlin.de
Thu Oct 10 06:37:04 CEST 2002

Andrew Arensburger schrieb:
>         Mostly, except for the location of *.css files. (I confess
> that I'm almost entirely ignorant about CSS, so I'll ask you to put up
> with naive questions, and to enlighten me when I'm wrong.)
>
>         As I understand it, stylesheets specify colors, fonts, and all
> of those little presentation details. In particular, AIUI, stylesheets
> do not specify content.
>         So why would the *.css files go in <theme>/<lang>? How are the
> French link colors different from the Italian or German colors?
>         Okay, so the Japanese and Cherokee versions of the web page
> will obviously use different fonts. But most everything else will be
> identical across languages, right? Perhaps there should be theme-wide
> CSS and a separate per-language CSS?
>
>         I'm mainly concerned with duplication ("Pragmatic Programmer"
> tip #11: Don't Repeat Yourself). If default/en/style/foo.css and
> default/jp/style/foo.css are separate, and need to be kept in sync,
> they _will_ drift apart. The same thing applies to language-specific
> templates.

We yet have a solution for this problem, it's very easy:

Finlay Thompson wrote:
> language specific. Anything that is not language specifc can go in the
> /<theme>/<all>/ directory. I dont think there will be anything not theme
> specific.

So a stylesheet for more than one language of a theme would go in
<serverroot>/<theme>/all/styles/veryimportantstyle.css
It can be included with
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/<theme>/all/styles/veryimportantstyle.css">

A style which is specific to a single language would go in
It can be included with
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/<theme>/<lang>/styles/lessimportantstyle.css">

You may substitute '<theme>/<lang>' by '<TMPL_VAR NAME=themelang>'.

Note: this structure is also valid for other things than styles, e.g.
images.
A background-image, which is the same in all languages of the
default-theme would be in
<serverroot>/default/all/images/somebackground.jpg
A text-image, which of course is different in every language goes in
<serverroot>/default/en/images/englishtextimage.jpg
<serverroot>/default/de/images/germantextimage.jpg
The link in the english template leads to englishtextimage.jpg and the
link in the german template to germantextimage.jpg.

BTW: generally textimages make the translations more difficult and
should therefor be avoided.

dorian