[Koha-devel] Re: Fwd: Re: [Koha] data conversion/early Winnebago

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Oct 15 05:38:02 CEST 2002

Derek Dresser wrote:

>Quoting paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr>:
>
>>I'm playing with you file, and it seems at 1st glance to work well.
>>I've a problem with 3 records : they have no ISBN neither ISSN.
>>Here is 1 of the biblio (hard to read... just consider the 1st column is
>>the tag : ISSN/ISBN are 020/022, and are not here) :
>>001        64066019 //r91
>>005     19910402164431.3
>>008     720420s1965    nyu      b    00000 eng
>>040    _aDLC
>>       _cDLC
>>       _dDLC
>>043    _an-us---
>>050 00 _aPN4855
>>       _b.D3
>>082 00 _a071
>>100 10 _aDaniels, Jonathan,
>>       _d1902-
>>245 10 _aThey will be heard;
>>       _bAmerica's crusading newspaper editors.
>>250    _a[1st ed.]
>>260 0  _aNew York,
>>       _bMcGraw-Hill
>>       _c[1965]
>>300    _a336 p.
>>       _c22 cm.
>>504    _aBibliography: p. 325-330.
>>650  0 _aJournalism
>>       _zUnited States.
>>650  0 _aJournalists
>>       _zUnited States
>>       _xBibliography.
>>650  0 _aNewspaper editors
>>       _zUnited States
>>       _xBibliography.
>>650  0 _aNewspaper publishing
>>       _zUnited States.
>>740  1 _aAmerica's crusading newspaper editors.
>>852 1  _h071 D228t
>>       _p10048
>>961    _t6
>>
>>do you confirm this, and what do you expect koha to do with such a record
>>

>?
>
>Paul,
>Honestly, yesterday was my introduction to library circulation/card catalog
>systems.  I guess what we are looking for is a web-based card catalog and
>circulation system.  Our school network is Linux based, so I looked around
>for a open source solution with a web front end and found Koha.  Probably
>the next step is for me to set up a prototype and import some data and let
>the librarian play with it.
>
>While I was talking with the librarian yesterday, she did mention that some
>of the books were too old to have ISBN numbers.  What would be the best way
>to deal with those?  Would we generate our own, or is there a commonly
>accepted practice for dealing with that?

2 answers to your question :
* in the new koha (will be ready in 2003, january), there is a
(expected) nice way to manage MARC biblios : you put MARC files into a
"breeding farm" until you need them (= you acquire the book). In this
case, a ISBN/ISSN is needed to find the book.
* if you plan to migrate a old DB into koha, then you need the
bulkmarcimport tool which import YOUR library into koha. In this case,
the ISBN is not needed. Note the bulkmarcimport already exists in the
1.2.x versions of koha.

>One more question... We use openLDAP as our network directory service.  Is
>Koha LDAP enabled?  It would be great if we could use the existing accounts
>for checking books in/out.

Not yet. We are rewritting koha with a flexible auth system. When it
will be done, it should be easy to add LDAP auth, as everything will be
managed in a specific perl package, thus you can modify the package to
use LDAP.

--
Paul